New Date: Friday, March 7, 2014
Time: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Location: Adele H. Stamp Student Union University of Maryland, College Park
Presented by: Dr. Barbara Jacoby, Faculty Associate, Leadership & Community Service-Learning Adele H. Stamp Student Union
Join faculty colleagues from around the state to explore service-learning as a high-impact educational practice for courses across disciplines. Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to service-learning and its basic principles
- How service-learning can help students achieve desired learning outcomes
- How to establish and nurture partnerships with community organizations
- How to engage students in critical reflection
- The many forms of service-learning in the curriculum
- Elements of a service-learning course
- Composing a service-learning syllabus
- From design to implementation: managing the process
You will come away with a Service-Learning Course Design Worksheet that will guide you through the process of developing a new service-learning course or integrating service-learning in a significant new way into an existing one. Many other resources will be provided.
No prior knowledge or experience with service-learning is expected.
Dr. Barbara Jacoby, respected author and national workshop presenter on service-learning, will facilitate the workshop.
The cost of the workshop is $55 for MDCCC members and $95 for non-members, including lunch and materials. Please register to attend. For additional registration information, email Pat Bassett at Maryland-DC Campus Compact or call 301.696.3280. For more information about the workshop, email Dr. Barbara Jacoby, or call 301.314.7253.
Co-Sponsored by: Adele H. Stamp Student Union—Center for Campus Life & Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Maryland & Maryland-DC Campus Compact