What is Students of Service (SOS)?
- SOS is a part-time AmeriCorps program that offers scholarships (education vouchers) to college students who serve as mentors to K-12 students in their community.
- SOS aims to connect colleges and universities with local communities to increase K-12 academic engagement through mentoring, as well as empower students in higher education to serve by sharing resources, skills, knowledge, and time.
- SOS challenges YOU to think about what it means to be a civically engaged citizen and why it is important now and in the future.
What is AmeriCorps?
- AmeriCorps is a program funded by federal tax dollars through the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), a federal organization in Washington, D.C.
- AmeriCorps engages people to serve their communities.
- AmeriCorps offers several different programs designed to meet critical needs. For Students of Service, the focus is around K-12 student engagement.
Why Should I Join?
- SERVE your community and make a difference;
- LEARN about your community and yourself;
- EARN a scholarship of $1,175 to use for your education expenses such as loans and/or tuition;
- PREPARE for a job/career after college through real-life experience and responsibility in the community
Am I Eligible?
To serve as an SOS member, you must: